Apple Inc (NASDAQ:AAPL) has just confirmed that the new iPad Pro will support USB 3.0 with its Lightning port. Rumors about Apple devices to start supporting the new USB standard are floating on web from quite a time now and finally the company has just confirmed the same.
Apple Inc.’s iPad Pro 12.9” sports a Lightning port which will support USB 3.0, which was discovered after a teardown carried out by iFixit. Even, the CNET reviewer, Scott Stein, said that the new tablet by Apple Inc will support “”USB 3-level speeds with forthcoming adapters,” and assured that he received this information from the company.
“Apple has confirmed to us that the new iPad Pro will in fact support USB 3.0 transfer speeds over its Lightning port,” according to ARS Technica.
The new iPad Pro which is the biggest tablet device Apple have ever made was launched on September 9, along with the iPhone 6S and 6S+ and iPad mini 4.
Lightning port compatible with USB 3.0 is very significant feature for the new device as the lightning port on all other iPhones and iPads is only compatible with USB 2.0. The new USB 3.0 provides far better read and write speeds than its older sibling having data transfer rates over 60MB/s which is almost double than that of USB 2.o compatible devices.
Although the latest iPod supports the USB 3.0 standard, there’s a catch. The lightning cable that is currently shipping with the tablet is still USB 2.0 compatible only. So what this means for the consumers is that they have to wait for a while until the company officially introduces a USB 3.0 compatible Lightning cable.
What this also means is we can expect the upcoming devices like iPhones from Apple to support the USB 3.0 standard. And if you were living under a rock for the past month or so and don’t know about the new iPad Pro, below are the specs.
- Size: 6.9mm thin
- Weight: 1.57 pounds
- 12.9-inch Retina display with 2732 x 2048 resolution at 264 ppi and fingerprint-resistant oleophobic, antireflective coating
- 64-bit Apple A9X processor (1.8x better than the A8X chip it replaces)
- M9 motion coprocessor
- 32/128GB of storage
- 8-megapixel iSight camera with f/2.2 aperture, 5-element lens, True Tone flash and 4K video recording
- 1.2-megapixel FaceTime HD camera
- Wi-Fi 802.11ac with MIMO
- LTE up to 150Mbps
- Bluetooth 4.0 LE
- Touch ID fingerprint sensor
- Battery life (10 hours of video/Wi-Fi browsing)
- Four speakers
- Dual microphones
- iOS 9 with special tablet-friendly multitasking features
- Apple Pencil stylus
- Special keyboard for iPad Pro – the Smart Keyboard
- Colors: Gold, Silver and Space Gray