Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS) is a motor neuron degenerative disease which affects both upper motor neurons (UMN) and lower motor neurons (LMN). It is a progressive disease, with patients becoming increasingly dependent on carers and physicians as time from onset increases, and ultimately, it is fatal. ALS can be split into two origins, hereditary – which is known as FALS (Familial ALS) or idiopathic – known as SALS (sporadic ALS).
Currently there are only two drugs on the market that are approved for the treatment of ALS; Sanofi’s Rilutek (riluzole) and Mitsubishi Tanabe Pharma’s Radicava (edaravone). The drugs were special cases in terms of FDA approval, they did not meet the normal regulatory requirements for approval but due to the increase in survival of patients they were granted approval.
GlobalData estimates that drug sales for ALS in 2017 were approximately $203M across the seven major markets covered in this report. Over the 10-year forecast period, the market is expected to grow to $1.2B at a CAGR of 19.4%. This growth will be driven by the launch of six late-stage pipeline products. The two highest selling drugs are expected to be Brainstorm Therapeutics’ NurOwn and Aquestive Therapeutics’ Riluzole OSF, which both address some of the unmet needs in the market.
Key Questions Answered
- What are the key ALS treatments in 2017?
- When will the late stage pipeline products launch, and how will it affect drug sales and the overall ALS market in the 7MM?
- Which unmet needs will remain unaddressed in the forecast period and what opportunities remain for pharmaceutical companies?
- Overview of ALS, including epidemiology, etiology, pathophysiology, symptoms, diagnosis, and disease management.
- Annualized ALS therapeutics market revenue, cost of therapy per patient, and treatment usage patterns in two patient segments (familial and sporadic) forecast from 2017 to 2027.
- Key topics covered include strategic competitor assessment, market characterization, unmet needs, clinical trial mapping and implications for the ALS therapeutics market
- Pipeline analysis: comprehensive data assessing emerging trends and mechanisms of action under development for ALS therapy. The most promising candidates in Phase III development are profiled.
- Analysis of the current and future market competition in the global ALS therapeutics market. Insightful review of the key industry drivers, restraints and challenges. Each trend is independently researched to provide qualitative analysis of its implications.
Reasons to buy
- The report will enable you to:
- Develop and design your in-licensing and out-licensing strategies through a review of pipeline products and technologies, and by identifying the companies with the most robust pipeline.
- Develop business strategies by understanding the trends shaping and driving the global ALS therapeutics market.
- Drive revenues by understanding the key trends, innovative products and technologies, market segments, and companies likely to impact the global ALS therapeutics market in the future.
- Formulate effective sales and marketing strategies by understanding the competitive landscape and by analysing the performance of various competitors.
- Identify emerging players with potentially strong product portfolios and create effective counter-strategies to gain a competitive advantage.
- Organize your sales and marketing efforts by identifying the market categories and segments that present maximum opportunities for consolidations, investments and strategic partnerships.
- Mitsubishi Tanabe
- Brainstorm Therapeutics
- Ionis Pharmaceuticals
- Genevrone Biopharmaceuticals
- Orion Pharmaceuticals
- Kringle Pharma
- Aquestive Therapeutics
- Valeant Pharmaceuticals
- Impicit Bioscience
- Treeway BV
- AB Science
- Concordia Healthcare Corp